Saturday, February 28, 2009

What Is Joy To You?

In school a few weeks ago my instructor said "Each of us was created for joy."

Webster defines joy as "a feeling of happiness that comes from success, good fortune, or a sense of well-being... a source of happiness."

I'd always thought of joy as some manic happiness that never left. And that to be a joy-filleld person, I could never feel anything but pure elation!

But after much soul-searching, and God-searching, I define joy as an inner core knowledge of who I am, and where I fit into His plan.

Looking at it that way brings relief to my perfectionist heart. Knowing that if I have a bad day, I have not become someone who has "lost their joy."

How do you define it?

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

I think your definition is awesome. But I thought the question was so good I decided to think about it for awhile. I came up with:

Joy is the result of trusting in my Creator God and in the knowledge that all things really do work together for those who are called according to His purpose. Even if circumstances are painful and I'm not sure why, joy results when I really do trust Him. I wish I resided in that state. Hopefully I get back on track faster than I used to.