Sunday, June 28, 2009

Pleased To Meet You

Have you heard an introduction of two people lately? Names are exchanged, smiles are smiled and then... "What do you do?"

We, as amazing and beautiful individuals, have been reduced to what we spend 40 (or in so many lives, many more than 40) hours a week accomplishing.

But I am so much more than what I do.

I wish I could answer the question of "what do you do" in a way that was honest and thought provoking.

But so many people are uncomfortable with those who get out of pretty little boxes with labels tidily put on them.

Imagine with me...

"What do you do?"

"I laugh... and I make people laugh."

"Oh, you're a comedian?"

"No... I am actually a corporate trainer for an insurance company."

Silence.

"Oh."

I am so much more than I do! I reject being defined by what earns my paycheck.

I am a princess, in both the eyes of my dad, and my Father.

I am a daughter, a sister, an aunt and a friend.

I have the heart of a mother, though I have not birthed a child.

I am one who walks with face forward, slightly upturned, to accept sun or rain on my face.

I feel music running through my body most of my waking hours.

I play with words in my head, molding them to do my will.

I am physically small, but spiritually tall.

I laugh. I cry. I dance. I make music.

I am mesmerized by fire, calmed by the ocean, invigorated by wind.

I am loved and I love with abandon.

I am... so much more than what I do.

And you?

4 comments:

Mississippi Rose said...

I can imagine: "Ummm. . . I'm just a brain surgeon." :)

Janice Phillips said...

Great post, Lindsay. I forget what African culture asks, "who are you?" instead of our stupid "what do you do?" Way too individualistic and achievement driven if you ask me.

Just me said...

Just randomly clicked onto your blog and totally love it! Wow what a beautiful post. I feel exactly that way too. I began a few years ago asking 'so ~ what makes you happy?' when greeting some one new. Some times I get some strange looks from those A types who think they are their job lol ... but i've made some really cool friends too!

I thought I was the only one who felt this way!! Thanks for making me smile :)

Anonymous said...

Came here by way of Sara's link. Great post, and actually something I've thought about a bit lately . . .