Saturday, September 19, 2009

Cell Phones - Love mine. Hate others.

Texting has been a major problem throughout my current training class. So yesterday I tried a new tactic.

I greeted the class in my usual, and often excessively cheerful way.

"HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!!"

"Happy Friday!" was the we've-not-quite-had-enough-caffeine-for-you response.

"We're going to start today with a GAME!" (still manic face, big smile, excited voice)

"YAY!!" caffeine intake forgotten, I had their full attention

"This fun time is called the (face change to stone) 'I'm really sick of telling you to stop texting so take out your phones and line them up on this table' game!"

Not fans of this game, my class.

I, on the other, had one of the best mornings ever.

As of yesterday at 4:30, my class reached the end of week seven, which means that we are officially half way done.

And even after the game we played that morning, the class did not renege my invitation to their "Glass Half Full" party last night.

But when I walked into the Puritan Back Room, someone did ask if they all had to put their cell phones in the middle of the table.

4 comments:

drewey fern said...

Hhahahaha - I love that game! Luckily our school has a no-phone policy in place already. Phew.

HAPPY IT'S-ALL-DOWNHILL-FROM-HERE DAY!!!

Rachelle said...

You are a great teacher.... I had a college prof who was a small guy but when the athletes showed up to take the mid-term (and no one knew they were in the class until then) he would graciously ask them to step outside and inform them they were welcome to take the test but they still couldn't pass his class with their low attendance. I loved it!

When you have a class of adults doing exactly what you tell them to you know you have a gift. :)

Happy weekend to you! And yay for halfway done.

Darren said...

This made me laugh out loud. Good job!

mary said...

I guess that anyone who rides a bike(notice my up-to-the-moment lingo)is tough w
enough to confiscate call phones and
keep them in a drawer if necessary.
Miss Mary