Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Glimpse Into What I Believe

I looked up "faith" in the dictionary. Read through all the different definitions. Read them through again.

Funny, but I found nothing about it being a crutch.

And that's what I hear mine referred to as so frequently.

I'm not what we would refer to as an intellectual. So when I have conversations about religion with people who are smarter than me, I hear all their words, and wish that my thinking wasn't so heart based... but that it was more fact based.

It frustrates me, because I know what I believe. And though I'm a consummate people pleaser, when it comes to my faith, no amount of pressure from anyone is going to rock my solid relationship with Jesus.

One of my friends asked me awhile ago what I believe about God. I replied that I believe in a God who is fully vested in my life - both day to day, and eternal.

We all get hurt in life. We all limp. Some limp more than others, because their pain has been deeper, more traumatic.

But it's what we do about our limp that determines how we live. We can get angry at the accident that caused it, and turn bitter. Or deny that it's there, and live a hampered existence.

Sometimes, I think, it takes more courage to admit that the pain is there, that we're not perfect, and that using a "crutch" will help our quality of life, instead of limping along in growing frustration.

You may scorn my Crutch... but He's willing to be yours as well... if you'll let Him.

2 comments:

the Joneses said...

About two weeks ago, I described myself to Darren in much the same way: my faith is more in my heart than in my head, and that's not an acceptable condition in today's society. But, um, Jesus actually isn't very acceptable either, so why do I worry about it so much?

I love your post.

-- SJ

Unknown said...

I found your blog a long time ago, through the friend of a friend. This post spoke to me in such a deep place. I was having my own problem articulating my thoughts on prayer (in a group of intellectuals - so they think). You just summed up what I was trying to say - heart based! I don't have to know every thought process behind what God does - HE knows, and that is enough for me! Thank you for this post!