Monday, December 27, 2004

What Goes Around, Comes Around

In NH, a person can start driving at 15 ½. That means that when Darren started driving, I was just 10. And it was exciting! I remember one trip to Fairwood, where Darren was trying out his new-found skills. Being a new driver, as well as a law abiding citizen, Darren was cautiously going under the speed limit. Evan & I were sitting in the way back of our family station wagon, laughingly counting the cars lining up behind Darren on the narrow NH road. “Sixteen faithful followers,” I’d gleefully howl toward the front seat, updating the count as new cars joined our caravan.

Last night my 10 year old self visited my car! We were driving home from Christmas in Nova Scotia, and about two hours from home, drove into the path of our first substantial snow storm of the season. For a while the conditions were almost white-out, and I saw one car slide off the road & another one do a 360 in front of me. The passing lane was not plowed, so we were down to one lane of traffic. Looking in my rearview mirror, I could see this line of traffic snaking behind me, and I could hear my 10 year old self chortling gleefully “Sixteen faithful followers!”

No comments: