Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Brother, could you spare a dime??

Tonight as I climbed into my car at work…

“Oh no - I need gas.”

“Oh NO - I don’t have any cash... or my credit card... or my debit card.”

“I can’t make it home from work & back tomorrow morning on what I have in the tank.”

So I did what any other Nancy-Drew-wannabe would do. I scrounged through my ash tray (my change collector) and came up with $2.35! I then proudly walked into the gas station & putting all my quarters, dimes & nickels on the counter, proclaimed that I would like $2.35 in gas please. The clerk carefully counted the change to make sure I wasn’t going to cheat them into really giving me that much gas for only $2.30 & grunted her approval.

The guy behind me was waiting impatiently to purchase his gas. He pulled out the thickest wad of $20s that I have ever seen, threw two down on the counter & said, “I will fill up and will be back for the change” in a voice that reminded me of the man who buys the Banks’ house in “Father of the Bride Pt II.”

Three things happened inside me at that moment...

First, it made me want to yell out, “I do have a job!! And a car that’s been paid off for four years! And a credit card at home! And a bank account. And a cat named The Cuteness!!” (Just wanted to throw in that last one so he wouldn’t think I was poor AND lonely!)

Secondly, I thought, “If I ever have a gigantic wad of $20s in my pocket & some poor blonde is in front of me paying for a gallon & a half of gas in change, I will pay for both our gas.”

Lastly, it just made me laugh out loud!

When I drove out of the gas station I saw that he wasn’t driving a very nice car either. Maybe his thought process was, “If I pay for that poor little girl’s gas, I wont have enough to put the down payment on my Jaguar!”

No comments: