Thursday, January 06, 2005

Thermostats & Such

Life during a NH winter requires a working thermostat & furnace.

When I first moved up here, the furnace in the house where I live was a little tempermental & there was more than once that I woke up to a house that was down around 40 degrees. My fish even kind of froze to death that first winter.

The next winter was better, with the furnace only going out a couple times.

And then we got a new furnace this summer! Good things were happening... in the big house (that my little apartment is attached to) but not in my apartment. Then last week Evan figured out that it wasn't the furnace that was making my house so cold... it was a faulty thermostat. So, he removed it, leaving two (very chic) looking wires hanging out of the wall. After a quick lesson from my favorite electrician, I was able to cross the wires to make the furnace go on, and uncross them to make the furnace to turn off. Great plan... if you don't take into effect the blonde-ness of the resident of this apartment!

In the morning, I would get up, cross the wires to get the house warm, and then uncross them before I left for work. It worked splendidly for a couple days... then Tuesday came.

It was cold Tuesday morning, so I crossed the wires & got ready for work. I just forgot to uncross them before I left. I got home from work Tuesday night (having worked a nine & a half hour day, so I was gone for almost 11 hours) and opened my door. I was met with a BLAST of heat. "OHHHH NO!!" I shrieked, and ran over to uncross the wires. Now, because I had no thermostat, I couldn't tell just how hot it was in my house, but I bet it was over 90. I picked up The Cuteness, and her fur was hot. I changed into a pair of jeans, and they felt like they'd just come out of the dryer. I picked up the phone to call Evan & the plastic on the phone was hot.

I'm certainly glad I wont be at the meeting that the church (my landlord) has once a month to discuss finances. I wouldn't want to hear the discussion about why the oil bill was so high this month, and what on EARTH happened that one Tuesday where we burned countless gallons of oil & all the snow within an eight foot radius of the apartment had mysteriously melted...

Good news! Evan installed a working thermostat for me on Tuesday night!! And its cool, too! It's digital & when you adjust the heat, it glows green... whoa!

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Despite occasional blondeness, you were still one of only two roommates I had that didn't try to start a fire in the house at some point. The Cuteness must have thought she'd died and gone to hell! Maybe she'll behave better?.... Or not. -rlr

Amy K said...

LOL. Good storytelling - that's hysterical. :D

-Amy