Saturday, May 06, 2006

Do Angels Smoke?

Tonight on my walk, as I was going down the Hill, I was awe-struck by the sunset. The sky was a myriad of pastels, and the clouds were contrasted with the darker hills far away.

I was thinking about how beautiful it was, when a car came up behind me, slowed down and the driver rolled down his window. He pointed at the sky, and said, “Behold, what the hand of God hath wrought!” He then smiled, waved his cigarette at me, and left me staring wide-eyed at his retreating car and license plate... IS4319.

Turning around to head back, I was overcome with glee at the blog fodder that had come my way!

I was close to home when I heard a car pul up behind me again, and I turned to see my Smoking Angel back for more. This time he said that he had a flower for me. Warily I said, "Um - thank you," and he said, "NO! Thank God!" He then drove away, saying out the window "Womenhood is the flower of life."

By that time I was thinking that this wasn't quite the funniest thing that had ever happened to me, and I don't know what was pumping more... my feet or my heart as I tried to get home before he came back a third time, with his next gift of verse or flower.

Just another Saturday in the life of me :)

12 comments:

Kristi said...

Ha ha! Hooray for life's little adventure! Who knows -- maybe he's your knight in shining armor in uh, disguise! Better check out his license plate.

"This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

[Removes tongue from cheek.]

Linds said...

That's funny you said that about the license plate, Kristi - I have a certain police officer I know running the plates... :)

Booker said...

Man, how weird was that!? I just laughed. Who would have thot?

Man, that is some serious blog fodder indeed :-)

Anonymous said...

Isaiah 43:19....(the license plate you mentioned) IS4319...what do you think of that? Read and let us know your opinion.
Sue and Paul F.

p.s. Paul's first thought is..."WACKO"!!!!

TripleNine said...

That is really pretty wack. It's a good thing you didn't wait for him to come back again, he might have had a ring that time. :-)

Aaron said...

Oh my WORD!!! (That is what I thought when you told me, but I couldn't exclaim it loudly since we were in the sanctuary. :-) Definitely some of the best and most bizarre blog topics I've heard in a while.

CKS said...

Haha...he just collected his paycheck from me today. (I was in the woods watching the whole thing...)

CARmelo said...

It is fantastic. God works in mysterious ways,

Cara said...

That is the most amusing story, Linds. And the strange thing, I think I may know who it was. A local guy who's slightly cracked and lives on the hill...

Claire said...

Only slightly cracked, Cara?

Wow, Lindsay, that story takes the cake.

ljm said...

Awesome, Lindsay! Now how many slightly cracked people live on the hill??? Ha,ha...

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Ol' 'Lanche thinks we oughta throw a loop on this critter fella the next time he crosses the trail and tighten it up a might and see if he makes any noises thet make sense?!