Sunday, August 19, 2007

Once I Was Afraid - I Was Petrified...

I signed up to take Basic Anatomy & Physiology. And I was really excited about said class. It begins in just a few weeks, so I decided to get a jump-start on learning. I went to Barnes & Noble yesterday and scoured several A&P books... and realized that I'm completely screwed!

Who even named these stupid muscles that we have?? Was there a ban on easy when they did so?

For those of us who are not confident spellers, it seems like some sort of sick joke that not only will I need to know where the Sternocleidomastiodeus muscle is and what it does, but that I'll also need to SPELL IT??

After seeing names like Flexor Digitorum Longum and Supraspinatus, I almost kissed the page on which I found the hamstring!

If anyone needs me in the next four months, I'll be the one rocking back and forth, eyes wide in terror, mumbling softly to myself... but don't be surprised if you can't understand the words I'm saying... they're probably just the names of the muscles that I'm using to rock back and forth.

14 comments:

ljm said...

Where are you taking it?

Linds said...

NH Tech- the Nashua campus

NH Knitting Mama said...

If you're starting to study already, then you're off to a good start. Are you going for a degree? I didn't know you were going back to school!

Cara said...

I'll help you out if you need it. :) the sternocleidomastoideus muscle is the one in your neck that turns your head, right? Anatomy and physiology were my absolute favorite part of school last year,so I'm taking a homeschool course on it this year. You'll have funnn! ;)

brilynne said...

You will survive! :)

Booker said...

poor you. Hahhahhaa...

Leah said...

Part of it depends on the teacher, but my class in college was AMAZING! I even had a lab, which made it all so real. It was incredible, and I will probably be one of those mothers that makes all of my children take the class beacuse I loved it so much. You will do great!

L

ljm said...

Mmmm..the lab is definitely the best part. The dissecting and such is good fun.

drewey fern said...

Lindsay you are so funny! It takes a special gift to write about terror in a way that makes other people laugh. Kiss the page with hamstring on it - hee hee hee.

And Bria - you are so funny, too! :)

Kristi said...

Sounds like the sort of class Jill would like. Good luck, thou brave one!

Anonymous said...

I was going to take Anatomy & Physiology in college because I found Biology so interesting. My prof agreed to sign me into the class but wanted to make sure I was ok working on a cadaver. Uh, what? I went with Astronomy instead.

Best of luck! Don't you wish you had taken Latin in grade school? Then those LONG names for muscles, appendages, etc...would come easy.

Rachelle said...

Oh, somehow I forgot to sign in.... I am "Anonymous." -rlr

the Joneses said...

As usual, you made me laugh out loud. Good luck with your class. I, for one, am not envying you.

-- SJ

Anonymous said...

But those names are all so nice and self-descriptive! :p

Besides, English didn't exist when they named them. ;)