Sunday, August 26, 2007

A Savior Complex

In an evening meeting last week, Pastor Tad mentioned how as alive Christians we need to be able to feel other people's pain. He talked about bearing other's burdens. And I agreed... his talk excited me, because I love people and yearn to help... yet the thought also exhausted me, because I often allow myself to feel their pain much too deeply.

And as I talked with Amy about it afterwards, and continued thinking about it throughout the week, I realized the exhaustive panic comes from carrying all the pain myself. I forget to take the next step, and lay the pain down at the foot of the cross.

There are times that I am not called to go through the deep waters that others have been called to go though.

Nor have I been called to save the people who are in those waters. That was already done... by Someone much more qualified than myself.

I have merely been called to support... and to take the hurt, anger, pain, sickness, sadness, and brokenness to the place it belongs... to the cross... and then to leave it there.

6 comments:

Claire said...

Good stuff, Lindsley. I had a similar revelation recently as I confronted a mind-bogglingly difficult situation and I could not see any hope of resolution...and then I realized, Oh, wait- it's not my job to fix this. It's God's job. What a profound relief.

NH Knitting Mama said...

Linds, I really needed to read this. I do the same thing, and sometimes forget that I am not the one who has to solve the world's problems, I am only an instrument of support for the situation, and My Lord.

Thanks for the reminder.

Lori said...

That's really good.

drewey fern said...

Well said! Isn't it good how God reminds us of those things?! So glad for this little revelation for you.

lis said...

Whew!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of this marvelous quote I heard once:

"Good morning, this is God. I will be handling your problems today. I will not need any help."

I love it! And the funniest part is that for years I didn't get it. I mean, I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not. But now, I assure you, I get it, and I'm so glad. Great reminder.