Saturday, July 15, 2006

A Surefire Sleeping Pill

Once upon a time I heard my Aunt Pam say that if she was having trouble getting to sleep, she would go through the alphabet, reciting a Bible verse for each letter. It has the same effect as the traditional "counting sheep method," yet also gets one's mind in the right place.

I started doing it quite soon after I heard about it, and it works really well! But, there's a funny side effect when I do it. I can tell I'm almost asleep, because all of the sudden I'll start thinking of a random book or movie quote instead of a Bible verse... or it will be just a completely random statement put into King James-ish speak. I'll smile to myself, and drop off.

There are times that I spice it up a bit, and go through the alphabet using the first lines of hymns. Those times also, I can tell I'm about to fall asleep, because something really random will pop into my head.

The other night I was really tired, but just couldn't fall asleep. I knew that I couldn't do the Bible verse one, because trying to concentrate would wake me up more. I couldn't even think of hymns, so I decided to do attributes of God that I was grateful for.

Here's how far I go before I fell asleep...

A - Awe inspiring
B - Beautiful
C - Creator
D - Diabetic... and, she's gone!

8 comments:

lis said...

Hee hee hee...

I'll have to try it!

Kate said...

That is wicked funny!!

Brad said...

Maybe you were thinking of Derrick? Although I don't think A, B, and C really work for him, he might disagree.

I'll try it the next time I have difficulty sleeping. If God doesn't put me to sleep, I'll try Derrick.

Claire said...

Oh my WORD! Never knew God had a problem with sugar. I laughed aloud wicked hard!

Booker said...

!!!!Ka-Zam!!!!

for laughing about such a GREAT guy!

Consider yourselves properly chastised.

and that is a great idea about the bibleverses, I shall have to try it...

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Chuckles...

TripleNine said...

I don't think I remeber ever hearing her say that. A good idea though.

lis said...

PS I did try it, and it works great!