Thursday, December 28, 2006

H*I*L*D*A


One of my goals for this Christmas break was to laugh... hard!

And I did, mainly because of Hilda.

When I got home on Saturday night and went to hang up my coat, I saw a form hanging in the closet. With questioning eyes I dragged this being out into the light, and asked Mom & Dad for an explanation.

A dear woman in their church had made this blessing for them. The creation is about two feet tall, with blonde frizzy hair, blue button eyes, and a circle of bright pink rouge on each of her cheeks. Her hips are v-e-r-y wide, and get wider when you stuff plastic grocery bags in her skirt. She's a bag lady, of course.

We dubbed her Hilda, and she started popping up in various locations all over the house to the shock/surprise/horror of all. She was waiting for Mom in bed on numerous occasions, and then would strangely make her way to my bed minutes later. She appeared in chairs when the original sitters had moved momentarily, lurked in closets, sat patiently outside numerous doors, and even waited for us in the car when we did errands. Last night she came to the front door, ringing the doorbell and making all three of us double over in laughter.

Perhaps Hilda is a "had to be there" moment, but thankfully I was, and she sure made me laugh!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Hilda! Wish I had one...I could shock a few people in my household...what fun would that be! See you in a few days! Missed you this week.

Anonymous said...

Must see pictures of this Hilda lady.

drewey fern said...

Hee hee hee - so funny! And so thankful for laughter!

Linds said...

The picture isn't amazing, as I took it w/ my phone, but there she is in all her glory :)

Anonymous said...

glad to see the little purple eggplant vehicle as I drove home this afternoon :-)

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of my Lindsay Lovey, but much much stranger looking!!! It was lovely to see you today! Glad you're back and had a good five days of vacation!

Anonymous said...

What a funny lady--you and your mom must have had fun with her! very funny:)

Anonymous said...

that was me, kw:)