Monday, October 04, 2004

Cinnamon Rolls & Sorrow

Two phone calls yesterday... Two drastically different emotions.

I was still in bed when the first one came. Evan was inviting me down for fresh cinnamon rolls before church. Mom had made me a batch a little while ago to put in the freezer, and I had pulled them out to have that morning, so I declined. Evan informed me that the ones he was talking about were fresh & that I should come down. So, with a sweatshirt on over my pj’s, I hopped in the car & drove down their driveway. As I came over the hill, I noticed another car parked in front of their house. When I pulled up closer I saw that it had Nova Scotia plates. What a wonderful surprise!! Mom & Dad had come down for Evan’s ordination service. It was with a full & joyful heart that I sat in church yesterday.

I was watching a movie with three close friends when the other phone call came. Andrew - friend, classmate & fellow believer in Jesus, had dropped suddenly in an after church game of football. He had finished life’s race at the young age of 22, and was standing with Jesus, while we were all left to mourn his departure in our separate ways. Evan, Mom, Dad, Amy, Matt & I piled into the mini van & headed to Fairwood. The evening was spent comforting & receiving comfort. Even though his death seemed (and still seems) senseless, there was a strong feeling of God’s presence. The peace was as real as the tears. The road will be long, the tears will be many, but I truly believe that God has a plan, and its not for me to doubt Him. I’ve done enough of that lately, and its time to trust.

No comments: