Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Mrs Holland's Legacy

Growing up on Chestnut Hill, Mrs Holland played a huge part in our lives. We shared a house for over eight years, and she grandmothered our entire family.

She prayed for us - we prayed for her
She loved us - we loved her
She's in Heaven - we miss her

When it became apparent that she no longer needed the lower half of the house she had lived in for over 50 years, she graciously moved into a beautiful apartment that was built especially for her. It was attached to the house that she shared with us, and it's the apartment that I now live in. I love the fact that I sleep in the room that she slept in, and pray kneeling on the same floor where she prayed. She left a legacy of faith that will live on in the lives of those who knew and loved her.

There's also another part of her legacy that continues. For years, as a little girl, I remember hearing Mrs Holland pray that the blue birds would come back to Chestnut Hill. They had been chased away by sparrows, and I remember the joyful tears in her eyes when her prayers were answered, and the beautiful birds once again built nests in the houses she lovingly put out for them.

On Saturday, I saw the blue birds building nests in the birdhouse right in front of my apartment. And I too had tears in my eyes, because I know that, like the blue birds that were gone and then seen again, it will be the same with her. She's in Heaven now, but soon we'll see her again. And what a joyful reunion that will be.

3 comments:

drewey fern said...

This is a beautiful post, Linds. Thank you for writing it.

Mrs. RF said...

Amen! That put a nice bright spot in my morning!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

wow, linzer, I almost had tears in my eyes. that day when we'll "see a million faces, recognize every one" will be grand, won't it?!!