Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I Don't Think It's Just the Highlights!

So, today at work I was called in to do a little subbing for a trainer who's child was sick. I was talking with the class about various issues regarding when a woman is with child, and what our company's policies are that they would need to become familiar with.
Suddenly in mid-sentence I completely forgot what it's called when a woman has a child in her tummy. (BOTH my sister-in-laws are in that stage right now! HOW could I forget that word??) There I was, standing in front of 20 people, trying to get this important concept across, when I had to pause, and for lack of a better word say...

Maternity-ness!

Right after that, "pregnancy" came to mind. By then it was too late! I had 20 people laughing at my expense. Twenty-one, really, because I was laughing pretty hard myself!

9 comments:

TripleNine said...

First!

Don't you hate it when that happens? Unfortunately I do it far to often :)

Anonymous said...

Lol!! Sounds like you made 20 people's day. :D

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Funny how that can happen---some folks seem to expect to do it so make it a part of their speaking style---you suppose that's you in the making?! 8~D

drewey fern said...

Hee hee hee - you're so funny! But pretty good substitution there! Hurrah for the versatility and depth of the English language:)

Claire said...

BRAIN CRAMP!

hee hee hee!

Rachelle said...

I call it verbal dementia. I suffer from that and from verbal dyslexia. I hate it when I mix the words up in the sentence and it comes out sounding like English is my second language (or maybe my 5th). However, maternity-ness is a great word! I suffer from that too.

Kate said...

that was SO funny!!!! Thanks for the laugh. :-)

Laughter said...

I do the same thing, only I'm not so graceful in recovering myself.

Laughing is a good for the bones, so

hahahaha!

Thanks for sharing. =)

the Joneses said...

It's a mystery how your brain could forget "pregnancy" but remember "maternity." At least you didn't go King James and say "great with child."

-- SJ