Saturday, January 06, 2007

I Pose It To You, Dear Readers

Someone in my latest class at work identified with my horror/fear/life-stopping terror of snakes... only she raises snakes, and instead is deathly afraid of spiders. It bothers her that I am so afraid of snakes, and is constantly coming up with creative ways to help me get over my phobia.

She came to me this week and said that she is so afraid of spiders that she saw a shrink to help her deal with it. "Uh oh," said I. "Please don't tell me they made you face your fear and get up close with spiders." She replied that that was exactly what was done, and she held a tarantula in her hand. She also claimed it helped her with her dread of arachnids, but then admitted she's still afraid of most... just not tarantulas.

Therefore, she said that I should come to her house and hold her snakes. Even the mere thought of that made my heart start beating faster, and my breath become shallow. I loudly declined, and will continue to do so as many times as she invites me.

But it made me wonder... Does that really work? Facing ones fears in such a drastic way... Is it healthy? And it would only work with real fears, not ones that are ludicrous, like say being afraid of someone hanging from your shower head. If ANY of you try that to rid me of my fear, I will be very angry! Heck, if any of you bring snakes to my house I'll be angry to. I'm not ready for that type of "therapy!"

So what do you guys think??

8 comments:

Aaron said...

I think what you think is what I think. :)

Susan Elizabeth said...

I think your being afraid and horrified by snakes is totally natural. It's okay, Lindsay. Really.

lis said...

Beats me whether it works, but you sure made me laugh! Thanks. :O)

PS I agree with Susan.

ljm said...

When the fear of snakes starts to interfere with your daily routines then by all means, go try the flooding technique which really works for some people but I'd have to agree that your fear is a natural and healthy one. I lean towards spiderphobic myself.

Booker said...

hmm, what would be the name of the fear of finding someone hanging from your showerhead? Psycho-phobia? :-)

the Joneses said...

Probably there are some fears you can live with. My biggest fear is of someone breaking into the house at night when I'm alone. How about we don't face this fear? Let's just be happy in our fears. Besides, snakes aren't nice creatures so why get friendly with them?

-- SJ

CKS said...

I can't tell you how many times I've plotted to hang an Annie-doll from your showerhead. But I'm afraid my thoughts weren't of the kindly, therapeutic, healing kind.

If I were you, I think going to hold her snakes would provide me with nightmare fodder for about three millennia...total BACKFIRE!

Linds said...

Thanks for the affirmations, guys!

Asaphat - seriously, our friendship would be O-V-E-R if that Annie doll even gets CLOSE to my shower!