Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Icy Marauders

This morning at 3:30 I awoke because something was happening in my living room. Someone had just dropped something and it made a loud thud. I lay awake, my heart now doing the thudding, and it happened again! I decided I didn't want to be a statistic of someone murdered in their bed, so I got up to investigate. (Don't argue with 3:30 am logic... it's MUCH better to be in one's living room when one meets an intruder - everyone knows that!)

As you can guess, because I am writing this post, there was no one in my living room... or my bathroom or the hall closet. (Not that I checked or anything - I'm not neurotic!)

I went back to bed, and will freely admit I left the light on for safe measure.

My eyes were closed, I was almost asleep again when someone threw a rock at my bedroom wall! My eyes flew open, and my heart started that dumb thudding again. What was going on?

I calmed down, closed my eyes again, and had just gotten back to sleep when the pipes started screeching at the top of their lungs. (Please don't bother me with pipe anatomy details... I'm in the creative writing zone, and my heating pipes can have lungs if I say so!)

Now I was irritated. Not only was this marauder invisible, but it sounded like he was heating water for a cup of tea!

A minute later the same rock-thrown-at-wall sound came, except it was SIX INCHES from my head.

And then I realized what all these noises were. There was ice on my apartment from the recent storms, and it was cracking... and it continued to crack until I had to drag my exhausted, all nerved-up, hadn't really slept since 3:30 body out of bed for work this morning.

I'm sleeping in my closet tonight, where tea-drinking, rock-throwing, invisible marauders can't get me!!

10 comments:

drewey fern said...

You certainly found that creative writing zone! Wow! What a great tale! :) It was so well-written I almost forgot to feel sorry for your sleep deprivation... but not quite. Poor you!

drewey fern said...

Oh my word! You just made me think of a great post topic! Thanks! :)

ljm said...

Scary...I hate those middle of the night, unexplained noises. Love the picture below, by the way.

Booker said...

that was indeed a good post! sorry you had such a sucky night though...

Aaron said...

Grand tale, indeed! I can commiserate, as our ice-covered roof antenna has been making loud creaking noises in my bedroom far into the night. I must admit, however, that they have yet to wake me up.

the Joneses said...

People in the South don't get ice cracking above their heads at 3AM.

-- SJ

NH Knitting Mama said...

Hi, Linds!

Great post... especially since I had exactly the same night! I thought the roof was going to cave in!

Would love to get together soon... Email me to tell me some dates that would work!

Susan Elizabeth said...

We were up at exactly the same time! We thought a tree had fallen on our roof...again and again...finally, after TacCom went outside in his boxer briefs, flannel shirt and sorels to look on the roof,...we realized it was just the ice settling. Very unsettling for us!

TacCom said...

Hey.. the boxers were camoflage government issue !! Unfortunately, they were the uninsulated desert warfare model.

TacCom out...

Booker said...

TO MUCH INFORMATION!!!!