Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Tale of Two Cousins



DJ was born eight months before me and we've always been friends... close ones.

Growing up, he used to come and stay with our family a couple weeks each summer, and we'd spend hours talking, playing & betting Skittles on "Pass the Pigs," fighting, laughing... all the things that cousins do.

We went through Bible school together. When I was frustrated, he'd give me his arm to punch. And I'd give him my ear to talk to when he was frustrated.

There have been countless hours of laughing together. We saw each other through our first crushes, cried when our hearts got broken, and supported each other to where we are now.

When I moved back to NH, we lived next door to each other for the first four years, and the bond deepened.

There's nobody that I'll fight easier with, and there aren't many that I trust more.

If I ever stay home from work, I expect a phone call soon after 7:00, after he's driven by and seen my car still in the driveway... "Just checking in to make sure you're ok."

Or he can tell when it's been a bad week at work, and will call on a Saturday and let me know that he's ready for a ride on the bike, would I like to come along.

And this past week, when parts of my world were threatening to fall in on me in ways that I couldn't handle, he took over. He stood up for me, comforted me, drove to my house late at night, and called numerous times to get the status of my courage.

Right now, he's the happiest that I've ever seen him... and it makes me no end of happy for him.

Love you, Deej... thanks for being one of my best friends ever.

3 comments:

Claire said...

Awwwwww...You guys are both precious.

Booker said...

thanks. as a words person, this means SO MUCH to me. I'm glad we are such good friends too!

the Joneses said...

DJ is a very good guy, and I'm glad that he is in your life. It means a lot to me as your big brother that you have several men right around you who are looking out for your interests.

--DJ