Sunday, October 21, 2007

Us? Competitive?

There is a certain brother of mine with whom my competitive nature tends to show itself more often than not. I wont name any names, but he has red hair and lives next door to me.

When we were younger, it did nothing to help family harmony... now that we're grown, it brings much laughter.

In the last month we've been "helping" each other get healthier by making it a competition.

This morning, I was feeling quite smug as I started my walk at 7:15. "Really, I should get points for even being out of bed at 7:15 on a Sunday, much less walking my little feet off," I was thinking...

BLAST! Coming toward me, on his way HOME from his walk was the aforementioned brother.

When we got within yelling distance, I asked where he had walked to. He replied, "To the mini golf course... it's really dark out there at 2:00am." For those of you unfamiliar with NH geography, the mini golf course is at least seven miles from our home.

Not to be out-done I graciously informed him that I wouldn't be in attendance at church this morning, as I was walking to the Mall of NH and most certainly could not be back by 10:30.

(on a side note, when he told me where he had really walked to, I specifically went a little further, even though before seeing him I had been contemplating turning back because I was cold)

It makes me smile that this competitive must-always-beat-those-around-me gene has been passed on to his daughter. We'll be eating dinner, none of us aware that we're in a race, when suddenly Chloe will throw down her fork and declare, "I WIN!"

PS - This afternoon I am packing for my trip... and I'm not going to Haiti.

6 comments:

ljm said...

This makes me smile.

Claire said...

...because she is the one in OUR family who has that competitive streak in her...

Man! Chloe and Brad are birds of a feather - HE ALWAYS finishes his dinner first and proclaims himself the winner. And then, just as smugly, I say, " I lose!" Whoop-de-doo.

Next thing you know, E will be walking to the Mass border...

Have fun in not-Haiti!

Susan Elizabeth said...

Oh Brother! (just kidding!) Maybe this is a silly question but, why aren't you walking together? It's much more fun than a competition, when you have someone to commiserate with in the wee (chilly) hours of the morning!

the Joneses said...

Because if they walk together they'll die of exhaustion because they'll end up running all the way to Boston before either of them gives up.

-- SJ

Rachelle said...

Sounds like more than one Jones got the competitive gene. I wish I had a similar gene; I would probably be thinner. But I would be despondent over my last place showing in fantasy football too.-rlr

Susan Elizabeth said...

Like I said before....OH BROTHER!!!