Friday, November 23, 2007

Is Chivalry Dead?

Or am I just becoming too self-sufficient to accept it?


I haven't lived at home for over 10 years... and I've had my own place for over five years.


If my toilet stops working, I fix it.
When my headlight goes out, I change it.
The mornings my car wont start, I jump it.
I lose something down the sink, I retrieve it.
Arms full and need a door opened, I use my feet.


And sometimes when I'm out and a guy doesn't hold the door, or cuts me off, or is just plain rude, I wonder if chivalry is dead...


But then I think maybe they would have treated me differently, given half a chance, but I was too focused on doing it myself.


There are still the guys who reach for the door, and our hands collide in mid-air. As I pull my hand back, I'm grateful... and a little ashamed... and I chalk one up for them on the side of chivalry lives on.

3 comments:

the Joneses said...

Well, apparently it is just a Southern expression to say "jump off the battery" instead of "jump the car," but it's still a charming mental image of you taking a flying leap over your hood in your office clothes.

-- SJ

Anonymous said...

I admire your self sufficiency, Lindsay. I really think there's a balance of that and remembering to let men be chilvaros.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://vtyupdr.com]XlLetVUOOGpGAwpE[/url] , gilMqhOCsGDUUFD , http://iluubcb.com