Friday, May 01, 2009

Them That Keep Rules

This place where I'm living for six weeks has a rule.

And that rule is "Drivers cannot talk on cell phones."

I have been very good about following this rule. But it has made me overzealous about watching that OTHER people follow this rule as well! And I tend to holler (not so they can hear, of course, because that would be confrontational) at various drivers who are NOT following The Rule.

The ironic thing is, though, I'm generally flying past them at a rate of speed that is greater than the "suggested" speed posted on the large white signs by the side of the road.

I've always viewed my third born self as a free spirit. I leave the rule-keeping to my older brothers, both of which are very good at that! Like when Darren & I went to England when I was a senior in high school. We'd be in the middle of a conversation, and I'd be carrying on my end of the conversation while crossing the road, only to realize that my rule abiding brother was still on the sidewalk yards behind me because the red hand had not changed to green, signaling it was now legal to cross.

I religiously "Click It" so I don't get a ticket. But I relish tearing tags off mattresses and pillows.

I wouldn't dream of using a hair dryer in the shower, but happily get into the hot tub here at the hotel, telling Rule #1 on the posted sign "Don't use this alone" to not discriminate against my one-ness.

Signs saying "Don't cross this fence, or you'll plummet to your death" are all well and good, unless there is a breath-taking photo op that is just waiting to be snapped right on the other side of said fence.

Will there be rules in Heaven? Or will I be so happy to be there, I wont mind? Perhaps the rules will be doable - like "Be the most filled with joy that you've ever been, because you've finally met the Only One that your heart has truly desired?"

1 comment:

Mississippi Rose said...

Hey! So glad Sara had a link to your blog. I read through most of your posts on your page and it made me miss you. Hope you're doing well. If you want to see our "beaufitul" (as Lissy, our 3-year old says) new baby girl, born April 19, I've got some new pics on my blog.