Monday, February 28, 2005

Confessions of an Oscar Junky

What is it about the Oscars that are so exciting? Is it the suspense of just what movie is seen by members of the Academy to be the greatest of the year? Is it the opulence that is thrown in the faces of normal human beings? Or is it the sitting on the couch wondering just what it would be like to be dressed in a gown that costs more than my current year's salary, and having thousands of people screaming at my arrival, just because I'm me.

Yesterday I found myself more excited about watching the Oscars than I had been about watching the Super Bowl, which is practically blasphemy in New England at this time!

A few comments from the couch...

* Cate Blanchett is one of the classiest people on the planet

* What was up with Beyonce's lime green eye shadow?

* Antonio Banderas reminds me incredibly of Aaron Kuffel

* Why did Jake Gillenhall shave his head??

* Morgan Freeman makes me smile

* I was happily impressed that they managed to keep politics as low-keyed as they did. Maybe because Susan Sarandon wasn't a presenter?

And then, mixed in with all that, are the things that remind me of how completely different are the beliefs of those in that theatre, and myself. The things that grate against all that I stand for. "The Passion" only receiving two nominations, and those for small, insignifigant awards... Chris Rock's five minute "non-bashing" of Bush... the accepted crass humor & "open-mindedness" of everything but conservative Christianity. And I realize, I'd far rather run in the circles that I do, happily never experiencing the cheers & the bling that Hollywood offers, because I have the hope of a far better thing... and that will be for eternity!

No comments: