Sunday, February 06, 2005

New England-isms

Most of us in New England are on a first name with Dunkin Donuts, because there is generally about one per every 500 people in any town. I counted one time & depending on how I went to work, there was the possibility of passing up to seven Dunkins on my 25 minute drive to work. And if I went 25 minutes in any other direction, I can count about that many going those ways as well.

When someone from New England mentions “Dynasty,” we’re not talking about the longest running soap opera... we’re talking in hushed tones about the possibility that our Patriot’s may win their third Super Bowl in four years, and therefore rule football for the time being!

Last weekend it got over 30 degrees for the first time in over a month. Jed got out of the van & said, “Wow - it’s wicked warm. It feels like summer.” My heart swelled with joy & pride as I realized that he is truly a New Englander... not only the “wicked” used as an adjective, but realizing that any break in the cold weather is a cause to lose the winter jackets and rejoice!

And then the most stereotypical thing of all... dropping our “R”s & adding them where they don’t belong. It’s a longstanding joke, even making it’s way into “Finding Nemo,” where the lobsters have New England accents. A guy at work has new twin girls, born several weeks ago. Their names are Emma & Sophia, which I find to be very classy names... until he says them, because then they turn into “Emmer & Sophier.” Since I’ve moved back to NH, I’ve found myself getting slack, and falling into the habit of dropping “R”s. Part of me thinks, “What am I doing? It’s not very classy!” and the other part of me is proud to bear the “mark” of being from the best part of the country ever!

1 comment:

the Joneses said...

They won! They won! Wicked awesome! --DJ