Saturday, February 26, 2005

Hugs & Tulips

Last night I crashed. Not in my car, so Geico couldn't fix it - I crashed emotionally, and don't have any insurance for that! I was on the way home from swimming laps after work, and just couldn't handle life any more. So, I did what I do in those situations. I cried!
Still crying, I pulled into my driveway & noticed that my front light was on. I knew I hadn't left it on in the morning, so guessed that someone had dropped by & turned it on for me. (If you lived on Chestnut Hill, this would make sense... kind of an open house policy) Sniffling, I walked up the pathway & opened my door. There on my table was a BEAUTIFUL bouquet of tulips & a note full of love from my friend Amy. I turned around & she had also done my dishes, leaving my counters oh-so-clean! This, of course, made me cry even harder. I called her & could barely get any words out. She was asking, "Lindsay - what's wrong?" and all I could get out was "The tulips are so pretty!"
When I was finally finally able to get out a few more words, she ascertained that it had not been a good day, and hopped in her car to come up & give me a hug. (I do love it that she lives less than a mile away!)
After I finished wallowing, and she finished comforting, we had dinner & then laid on the living room floor & listened to a CD of Brian Regan - quite possibly one of the funniest men God ever created.
After she left last night, I began thinking about the Holy Spirit, and how He's known as "the One who comes alongside." And how there are times in our lives that we really need someone to come alongside, and God loves us enough to not only give us part of Himself to do that, but to send His own people to comfort as well. I'm thinking it's because He knows there are times that we need human arms to hold us, not just Heavenly arms. How grateful I am for the network that He's supplied of both human & Heavenly.
By the way - Amy is somewhat of a celebrity in these parts right now. President Bush stopped in NH last week to talk about his social security plans, and Amy was not only sitting right next to him on the platform, but gave a speech after he did! We're very proud of her!! Chestnut Hill has our own super-star!

No comments: