Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Schedule of Events

I got home from my cruise one week ago today. That evening I had rehearsal (OH YEAH - I forgot to update my blog, but before I went on my cruise I auditioned for a part in the play "The Boys Next Door" and got not one part, but three small ones! It's been wonderfully fun to join enjoy another aspect of life... one in theatre!) and then I worked a long day on Wednesday. Wednesday night I also had play practice, but in between work & practice I had to unpack, do laundry & start to pack again. Left early Thursday morning for work, all packed to leave from work to fly out to VA that evening for Kerin's wedding.
Arriving at BWI around 8:00 Thursday evening, I took a shuttle to the rental car place and got into an exceptionally slow moving line to pick up my rental car. The guy behind me in line was making snide comments at the wait, and lack of staff, so when I got up to the counter, I tried to be extra nice. Having worked in customer service for two and a half years, I know what it's like to have rude people direct unjust comments at you.
The man behind the counter took all my confimation information for the cheapo $18-a-day car that I had reserved, and then asked if I was down on business or pleasure. I told him pleasure, as I was on my way to a wedding. He smiled, said, "I think you'll really enjoy this - no extra charge" and handed me the paperwork for a 2005 Chrysler Sebring convertible!! It was SUCH a joy to toodle around in that beautiful car all weekend. And VA had the most perfect weather for having the top down at all times I was driving. When Darren told Sara what had happened she said, "If I had been nice to him, I just would have stored up treasure in Heaven."
I got to the Hall's around 10:30 Thursday night, and Geni and I pulled one of our until 2:00am chat sessions. The next morning I went to HSLDA's office & had a wonderful time chatting and catching up with old friends. Then Geni and I had lunch at Pen's, which is my favorite restaraunt, and one that we would go to almost once a week when I lived down there.
Friday night was the rehearsal for the wedding, and when I got back to Hall's, I went to bed before midnight... practically an unknown in the Hall household!
Saturday morning Geni & I went yard saling, and then back to the house to get ready for the wedding. It was a beautiful, sunny, VA day, and Kerin was a stunning bride! The ceremony took place in her family's back yard, and there were over 500 people there! It really is a special feeling to know that you are creating the music that your friend is walking down the aisle to.
After the ceremony I went out for dinner with Sherri, Audra & Nathan, and we had a wonderful time - lots of laughter... until after dinner when we went and saw "Brother's Grimm" which has got to be one of the darkest, most random movies out there. I thought with both Matt Damon and Heath Ledger in it we couldn't go wrong, but evidently...
Sunday I had the opportunity to go to Blue Ridge Bible Church, my heart's home when I lived in VA. The service was wonderful, and I was able to see so many people that I love and don't get to see often enough!
Then it was off to Darren & Sara's house, to spend the afternoon before the trip back to the airport. The kids (who am I kidding?? the adults were too) were enamoured with the car, and we went around the block several times, and then Aunt Lindsay offered to take everyone out to ice cream. It was a good thought, until we got there, ordered & found out that they didn't take credit cards. Yeah for older brothers who carry cash!! I also was able to see the church that Darren & Sara have helped to plant. I love seeing things that I've heard so much about, so that there's now a picture in my mind.
Then it was back to the airport, where I had to, with great sadness, turn in my wonderful car. I had an uneventful trip home, though I must admit I was a little hesitant to be flying on 9-11, and arrived home to the waiting arms of Amy.
Yesterday I started training a new class at work, with 23 new hires! When I dragged my exhausted self home yesterday, Evan, Jill & the kids were here to welcome me home. The first thing that Jed said was, "I'm sure glad you took those braids out of your hair!" He wasn't a huge fan of my Bahamian look. Tucker heard me from the driveway, and when the front door opened, he flew as fast as his crawling would take him - down the hall, out the door & practically leapt off the front porch into my arms. He snuggled for the longest time, and then would pull his head back, jabber away in my face, and then snuggle some more. "You missed Aunt Lindsay," I would croon against his head, and Chloe would loudly proclaim, "Me! Me!" This travelling has been fun and all, but there is truly no place like home.
Oh - and last night I went to bed at 7:30. Felt SO good!

10 comments:

Kate said...

Oh what bliss!

And do keep us posted on how the play goes. You are so cool!

Booker said...

Here's to hoping you get all rested up! :)

Anonymous said...

7:30??!!!??? WOW! Guess you were a little tuckered :) WE sure enjoyed your stay and think you were meant to be HERE!!!
A funny thing happened while you were here that you didn't know about. On Sunday morning, Earl poked his head into Ryan's room and said loudly, "Ryan! Ryan!" No response. He went around the bed and got closer and said, "Ryan! Ryan!" Then it dawned on him! Ryan was asleep in the basement and Linds was in his bed!! He sheepishly left the room quietly and went into the basement to wake Ryan. He was SO glad you hadn't mentioned it and hoped you had slept thru the entire episode!!
So Linds, strange men can come into your bed and call you names and you don't answer?? You were one tired puppy, friend!
Love you! geni

Anonymous said...

"come into your bed ROOM", okay, I admit, I don't preview my posts :)

Janice Phillips said...

Oh, I loved hearing all about your weekend...made me miss everyone and everything (in a good way). Heard you were superb with the music for KB's wedding (of course). Have fun with your play!

the Joneses said...

That is a very important correction, Geni. :) Although I did have a friend who told me that her husband brought home an extremely drunk friend one night, and when Husband was off getting stuff ready in the room, Friend wandered into the master bedroom and snuggled up to Wife. Husband, horrified, hissed, "No! Not That One! That's MY wife!" Obvious moral to the story here, but it makes a pretty funny story.

We loved seeing you, Lindsay. Also your car. Maybe if I'm nice to somebody like that, I'll have a convertible in Heaven.

-- SJ

Booker said...

Moral? Oh, don't bring your drunk friends home. Gotcha :)

Isaac Demme said...

That's right DJ, next time you can drive yourself home ;)

Anonymous said...

LOL! Oh my gosh, you guys have me cracking up.

Yes, that movie was something else. I think I sat there watching the first 30 min. of it with my mouth open. "What the heck is this?!"

We had so much fun with you, Linds, and it was great catching up. Although, it just wasn't long enough. :-/

Love you!! aud

Rachelle said...

I particularly loved the part where you called your far-off friend (on Pacific time) while you were driving the Sebring to the Halls. It was great to talk to you and I'm so proud of your attitude! You're living it! (And I, for one, would have LOVED the braids.) -rlr