Thursday, September 01, 2005

How The Other Half Lives...

...and for four days I have the chance to pretend I'm one of them! I've heard that cruises are alot of fun, but my gosh, this is incredible!
Our cabin has beds that are so comfortable & the comforters are down, and the sheet count is high... if there weren't so much to do, all I'd want to do is sleep!
Once we went through about eight checkpoints, and finally boarded the ship, we had a scrumptious buffet lunch, and got settled in.
As I looked out my cabin window while I was unpacking, I saw a whole school of dolphins cavorting right underneath the window. (And tomorrow I'm going to SWIM WITH THEM! Well, not those ones specifically...)
The afternoon was spent swimming, sitting in a hot tub, sprawling on a deck chair, and people watching.
And dinner was INCREDIBLE! Our waiter is from Romania, and his entire job is to make each person at the table feel more special than the next. (He actually just walked by the window where I'm sitting & smiled & offered me his beer) Our napkins were laid on our laps, and menus were given. You could order from multiple salads, appetizers & entrees. I got Satay chicken for my appetizer, and two little pieces of chicken that had a yummy peanut sauce on them came on sticks, and then a delicious salad, and some sort of chicken w/ garlic & pesto on it for the main meal, served with linguine. For dessert I had a Guava Cream Puff Pastry, which was light & delicious.
We went back to our cabin after dinner (which was at eight o'clock) and our beds had been turned down and there were little chocolates on our pillows.
Then we went to a show that was kind of an ice-breaker and comedy thing, and now I'm spending exhorbatant amounts of money keeping you all up to date! And all this typing while being serenaded by live piano music!
And now, the corny postcard sentiment, but I do truly wish it... "Weather's great - wish you all were here!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Linds! This is so exciting! Can't wait to see pics! Will you post some?? If not, can you bring them down for Kerin's wedding? Drink it all in babe, and get some sun for me too! Us white people have to band together and share the love. ;) Can't wait to see you soon.
aud

Amy K said...

Lindsay - that's awesome! So glad you're able to take this trip!

-Amy

Kate said...

oh how deliciously fun! I am grinning to myself I am so happy for you!! And happy for me to have checked your blogsite and found 2 new posts! Both lovely! Look at all the exclamation points! I love you!!!!!!!!!

brilynne said...

What richness! Mama's becoming jealous as she reads over my shoulder. :-) Enjoy the rest of the cruise!

CKS said...

SWEET!!! I am so DELIGHTED for you! Sounds like too much fun. And you just helped me discover my calling! I think I'll be a live pianist for a cruise ship! I'd forgotten such things might be desirable. I've always dreamed about getting employed in a ritzy restaurant or hotel and get paid to play the piano all evening long! But a cruise ship! Think I could do it? Might have to brush up a little on my pop repertoire...

redsoxwinthisyear said...

Nice literary allusion in the title! I'm impressed, and glad for you that your description is quite the opposite of those found in the original book!