Saturday, January 12, 2008

Emotional Bandaids

The original bandaid had been on for so long that I no longer knew what the wound underneath looked like.

When it hurt, I would just carefully place a fresh bandaid on top of all the others. From my vantage point, there was always a clean bandaid to look down at.

She came alongside and saw what I was choosing to turn a blind eye toward. A deep wound that would never have a chance to heal, because it was being jealously guarded by someone afraid of the pain that taking the years worth of bandaids off would entail.

A relationship of trust was built, and a tiny thought in my heart began to wonder what it would be like to uncover the wound.

The fear was still an insurmountable obstacle, but I was lovingly persuaded to let someone else do the revealing.

Silent tears rolling down my cheeks... shaking in fear... my soul laid completely bare.

Just as a child panicking at the thought of having a bandaid ripped off a skinned knee, the fear of what would be found was worse than the pain of the actual process.

Afterwards, sobs of exhaustion and relief. It was over.

The wound was revealed.

It could now start to heal.

4 comments:

drewey fern said...

I'm so proud of you, Linds. And so thankful for her. I love you, and I'm praying!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Lindsay,

Wow. Now I'm feeling like a bad friend because I don't know exactly what you're talking about. Distance and busyness and lack of me remembering to program your cell phone number into mine for those odd times when I could call to catch up are all to blame. =) Whatever it is, I'm praying for you, and so glad that things are healing.

~Rose

the Joneses said...

I don't know specifically what you're talking about, but I definitely know in general. It's awful to take that last bandaid off, but once it starts healing, you look back at the wound and wonder how you ever lived with the pain.

-- SJ

Anonymous said...

The LORD builds up Jerusalem; He gathers together the outcasts of Israel. He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. He counts the number of the stars; He calls them all by name.

Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite.

-Psalm 147:2-5