Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Shoppin' for Shovels

NH has had the snowiest December on record. And with yesterday's storm, it looks like January wants to beat some records as well.

So, at the top of my mental list of things to do this evening was "buy a shovel."

I told Dad about it. He said, "There are lots of shovels out there. Make sure you get one that's not too big for you... one that will work well for you."

Now I was envisioning a store with rows upon rows of shovels... all shapes, colors and sizes.

I told Steph. She said, "Uh oh - do you need me to go with you to buy this shovel?"

For goodNESS sake, thought I... this was supposed to be an easy thing to cross off my list. Now, everyone is questioning my shovel buying abilities.

I am 29.

I can buy a shovel on my own.

Target was my store of choice. I walked in, and there were no rows upon rows of shovels.

There was one small aisle, and it had only one type... and the handle was retractable... and I didn't like it.

I scoffed at their sad selection and informed the shovel aisle in no uncertain terms that I was taking my money to Lowe's, where I would have a fabulous selection to choose from, and would purchase the epitome of shovel perfection.

Into Lowe's I marched. And went to "Seasonal," because when you live in NH and it's January 2nd, "Seasonal" says to me "Shovels, Snowblowers, Ice, Sand, Etc."

Apparently the people who create the hanging signs in Lowe's work from FLORIDA, because the "Seasonal" section was filled with annuals, perennials, and enough dirt to cover just about anything you desired. WHO even plants flowers in January in NH??

By this time, having had my shovel buying prowess questioned, I was not going to fail on this mission. I looked all over, and finally had to ask someone.

He said, "I don't have many left," and pointed to FOUR shovels.

Who even knew that with the 87 feet of snow that we've gotten in the last three days, that others would want to purchase shovels as well?


The handles didn't retract... in fact, they were a little bent, supposedly to help my back, so I grabbed one and went to pay for it.

The cashier who rang me up works at the place that I work, so to make nice small talk I said, "Wow - it's a long day for you, eh?"

This apparently was the equivalent of me holding a knife to her throat, as she glared at me, mumbled something in the affirmative, and then threw my change at me.

Note to self... don't break cardinal rule of acknowledging co-workers outside the confines of our beloved building.

I walked my shovel back to my car, and informed it that it's name was now "Frank."

He sat up front, but he is not much of a conversationalist.

I got home, but it was so bitterly cold I had already decided Frank and I would shovel tomorrow... and when I turned into my driveway, much to my joyous surprise and relief I saw...

Frank was not needed tonight!


Someone had already shoveled me out.

3 comments:

Susan Elizabeth said...

Aaaawww! Great post! Glad you are shoveled out, Linds. Tell "Frank" I said, "hi"!

Anonymous said...

Probably all those shovels were snapped up for the NH primary. I pity you having all those sorry characters packed into your small state. -rlr

Anonymous said...

a new man in your life and he sounds a bit taxing! After all, a relationship with Frank is going to mean backbreaking work for you. I hope all the snow shoveled for you means you won't be spending much time with Frank after all and your back will be rested this wintery season. Love you!
geni
PS> NO snow in VA yet :) COME ON DOWN!!