Monday, April 20, 2009

Back In The Saddle Again...

... back where hotel rooms are... friends?

I pressed the button for the elevator this morning, and when the door opened, I was looking at boxes full of disembodied heads staring up at me. I stared back in horror, and then stared at the three heads attached TO bodies, who also turn stared back at me. Apparently I had disturbed the elevator ride of three hair dressers on their way to the lobby. Not enough coffee in the world would have prepared me for that, fyi.

The day got better, but it was a typical Monday. Things were hitchy in the classroom. The participants had a pretty intense case of the Mondays, and their trainer wasn't much better. Things were not smooth in the materials department, which is not my favorite thing, and made the OCD part of me want to scream a lot of times. However, 4:30 came like it does each day, and I was happy to cross this Monday off my list!

Bought some beautiful tulips on the way home from work, and the make my room feel so Springy and homey!

When I walked into my room, I laughed right out loud, because my bed was made, and my bathroom cleaned, but the maid (is that the right word to call them?) is not one of those "above and beyond" people. I had left my pajamas at the foot of my bed this morning. And there, strewn at the foot of my perfectly made bed, were my pajamas. I could practically see the thought bubble above her head as she made my bed... "If she even THINKS that I get paid to fold her pajamas, well... she is SO WRONG!"

And tonight... tonight I went to an Indian restaurant and it was incredible! The papar (thanks, Jen :) was so good, yet so hot it made my nose run! And the chicken tiki masala was almost as good as India Palace, and the naan was as good as Gil's! All of their food must be pretty hot though, because I could hear people sniffling all around me. There was kind of a feeling of solidarity in the snifflage. Well, I think I was the only one who felt that solidarity, but then again, I was the only blonde amidst a sea of very dark hair.

When I'm living outside of the norm, I tend to view norm as utopia. The whole rose-colored glasses thing. Like all last week I just kept thinking, "I will go back home this weekend and things will be perfect!" How could I forget after just one week that Chestnut Hill may be as close to perfection as possible, but that life is life wherever humans are?

And, to assure my fans that I have not changed spaciness since being away from home. This weekend I had to pick something up at the office, so when I went in, I left little hotel shampoos/lotions for Vicki T as a surprise for Monday morning. (Vicki affectionately demands lotions and shampoos from every trip I take... unless I'm staying with a friend, wherein she informs me I do not have to steal their things to bring back to her.) Last night when I was rummaging through my purse to get my hotel key, I found a bottle of conditioner. "What the...?" Oh gosh! I then remembered I had half a bottle of lotion in my purse when I went home, and then put Vicki's little treasures in there for transport. So, when Vicki T came in this morning she had a bottle of shampoo, a bottle of lotion, and a half-used bottle of lotion, instead of conditioner to complete the set. That is how I roll!

3 comments:

Claire said...

Snifflers of the world, unite! :)

Let's hope your friend Vicki doesn't make the same mistake I did once with a bottle of hotel lotion which I had mistaken for conditioner... yeck.

Susan Elizabeth said...

Love the updates...keep 'em comin'!

(You should lay out your jammies on the bed, as if they are a real person, like the tape on the ground at a crime scene,...see if they're still there in the same position when you get back...)

Love to you.

Darren said...

At my hotel last weekend, when I left my PJs under my pillow, I arrived back in the evening to find an unmade bed and a snippy note from the management informing me that the bed had not been made because hotel cleaning personnel were strictly forbidden from touching guests' personal belongings.

To test this, I left my jacket in the middle of the floor the next day. Sure enough, it was left there.

Guess where I'm not staying when I go back? :)