Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Few Thoughts on Day Three

I didn't think it was possible to be in a place where there are more Dunkin Donuts than where I live... but it is possible. And I am currently in that place. They are EVERYWHERE here, and they make me so happy every time I see them. Makes me feel as if I am not too far away from home.

And also, there are so many nail places, that I could stop at least 15 different places on the way back to the hotel from the office... and the office is less than five minutes away.

Yesterday I asked the class to come up with a list of things that they felt would make the class run smoothly. I do this with all of my classes, and we refer to it as a class contract. The class had a hard time coming up with things... after painfully silent minutes, they came up with four things. The last one was "don't bore us" aimed at me. Less than two hours later, after having them listen to a sample call, I asked if they had found it interesting. All but one nodded. Miss "Don't Bore Us" stared at me blankly. "Was that boring for you?" I asked. She nodded. My inside voice became my out loud voice and I said, "Get used to it Sweetheart - that's what the next three weeks are going to be."

I slightly dreaded going in today, not knowing what she would consider "boring" out of the materials we needed to cover. But I'm happy to report that today she stayed fully participatory during class, and didn't say the "b" word once.

There have been a few times that my mind has threatened to remind me that I'm away from all the people I love, and should be lonely. But I manfully (maturely? womanly? stoically?) stuff those feelings, and find more things to do to keep my mind occupied.

Went out for dinner with my "subject matter expert" from my class (she's a sweetheart!), talked to family, worked out, cried during the Biggest Loser, got voicemails and texts that made me feel loved... all good things.

Tomorrow is halfway through my first week!

3 comments:

Darren said...

In our house, saying "Bored" = more jobs assigned to you. Perhaps Miss Bored needs extra homework :)

brilynne said...

You could try Grandpa's "Geniuses are never bored" tactic...

Susan Elizabeth said...

Good one Bria! Love it!

Hope today was wonderful! The weather sure is gorgeous!

Have I mentioned that I miss you?

Cyber-hug to you!