Saturday, April 18, 2009

Leading Lady

Tonight I felt like the heroine in a romantic comedy. Only, there was no romance. And it wasn't funny.

I had a bad day. And I was crying. I went to Evan and Jill's and cried some more. After awhile ice cream and a movie were suggested. Only, the ice cream in the freezer had seen better days. So, I ran down to the little store near them, which was in the throes of closing for the night. The girl saw me drive in, and opened the door.

"Are you closing?" I asked.

"Yes, but come in," she said.

"Good - I need ice cream," I said, though I'm sure she had ascertained something of the sort from my red and puffy eyes, belying the open invitation of "Free Hugs" on my sweatshirt.

"It's over there," she graciously said, averting her eyes to give me some privacy.

The renewed sense of loss at the absence of Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby was yet another blow in this day, but I rummaged around and found something chocolately and cold, which filled the need.

And as I paid for my comfort, and walked to the car I thought, "This is the pathetically funny scene in movies. However, I find no humor in this. I find it merely pathetic."

There was no leading man waiting by the car to make my day all better... but who needs that when you have a brother and sister waiting at home, to love you... and help you eat your ice cream?

No comments: