Sunday, April 12, 2009

Operation: Outside the Box... Day One

Today my travels began. When I first heard about it, I was ecstatic. I'd wanted this for a couple of years, and I was so excited to get things started! Then, reality hit, I didn't have enough time to prep the materials, computer access issues have come up, and this past week I've been fighting down (sometimes, not very successfully) panic.

This weekend, however, I decided it was no longer worth panicking about. Monday would come regardless of whether I'd stressed about it or not, so why continue stressing? I might as well go into this adventure looking at it as just that... an adventure! One that I had not only asked my boss numerous times for, but also knocked on Heaven's door for.

So, adventure it will be!

Today was a killer day. Got up early to go to my church for Easter Service, then flew to Milfrog to see Chloe in their Easter service. Kissed the kids, said my goodbyes to Evan & Jill, and ran home to pack... because, yes... I had done no packing.

Packed in less than an hour, said goodbye to Amy, and got on the road.

Adventure - begun!

After a comedy of errors (who even knew that EVERYTHING would be closed on Easter), waiting forever at a toll booth because I had the luck to be behind a car that paid a 65 cent toll with a $100 bill, I got to my destination. (I will not be telling you, would-be-stalkers, where I am exactly)

I had no idea that a place only a few hours south of Chestnut Hill would be so far ahead of us in Spring. The grass is much greener, and I saw my first forsythia blooming as I drove!

The only thing that threatened to grab my peace away today was when I signed my bill for the room... it said "How many nights will guest be staying" and next to that was the number 40. Forty nights seems so much longer than six weeks. My check-out day is May 22. However, I will be going home some weekends, so will hold onto that!

The room is nice and big, and even had a CD to lull me to sleep and lavender pillow mist waiting for me. There is a large and beautiful pool, as well as an intense work out room that will help me continue with our work's Biggest Loser while I'm away. (Yes, Theresa - I already used it tonight!)

I went to grab some dinner, and sat there happily eating while enduring the pitying glances of those around me whose thought bubbles read, "How pathetic is she, to be sitting all by herself in a restaurant on Easter... and also, she's wearing a Red Sox shirt, which is unfortunate." YES! It's TRUE! As well as being advanced in the Spring department, this place is closer to the team-of-which-we-do-not-speak. And I saw much team-of-which-we-do-not-speak paraphernalia being worn.

So, here I am. Trading in my beloved NH, close proximity to loved ones, an apartment that I adore, the safety and security of a life where I mind-numbingly make the same trek to work that I've made for over six years, for a chance to spread my wings, a pool, room service and a king-sized bed that will be made for me each morning... oh yeah... and training something I just learned myself to people who know more than me about the company, but less than me about this aspect.

I have officially jumped out of my box!

So Good Days - 1
Much Bad Days - 0

3 comments:

KJ said...

Hurray! What an exciting adventure! The best part I saw in it was the king-sized bed being made for you each day! Sweet deal :) Blessings on you dear Linds and enjoy being outside the box! Love you!

Susan Elizabeth said...

Enjoy your adventure! (but don't forget to eat your green vegies and double lock your door at night...just some advice from your big 'Bro' and 'Sis' down the road a piece! ha ha!)

Miss you already! We're walking tonight and it stinks to know we won't be meeting your smiling face out there!!

Janice Phillips said...

I am WAY impressed. Go you!!