Friday, April 22, 2005

Verizon's newly offered plan - "Inmates talk for free!"

On Wednesday I checked my voicemail at work. Imagine my shock when I saw that I had 11 messages waiting, especially since I had checked it the day before! I listened to the first one & it was just a series of long, high pitched squeals. In fact, ALL of them were exactly the same. Even though I knew it was probably a fax trying to come through, it sounded like the Mother Ship trying to contact one of her own.
Feeling very Nancy Drew-ish, I wrote down the number that these mysterious beeps had come from, and set out to solve the mystery...

"Thank you for calling the Hillsborough County Correctional Facility..."

"Excuse me!! Where is this?" I squawked.

"The Hillsborough County Jail," the voice calmly replied.

"Um - I just got 11 messages on my voicemail from this phone number," I stammered, still a little in shock.

"Do you know one of the inmates here?" the lady asked.

"No," I replied, letting this sink in.

"Are you sure?" she queried.

"I'm sure," I stated, while my mind raced to think which acquaintance had been incarcerated in the last 24 hrs.

It all ended with me being transferred to their records dept, where we figured out that someone was trying to fax records & had a digit off in the fax number. After a multitude of apologies from the man in the records department, I was happily on my way with a fabulous new story in my arsenal!

2 comments:

Booker said...

Where do I sign up? I've always wanted to be stalked by a prison fax...

Anonymous said...

yay for arsenaled stories, I sometimes find myself thinking about the storie possiblities as I am doing some daring/stupid thing. :-)