Saturday, October 08, 2005

The Phobia that Came to Life

So, my biggest fear in life (besides having someone hanging from my shower head when I get in, but that's a completely other thing!) is snakes. I don't like seeing pictures of them, hearing stories about them, or seeing them at zoos or in movies. Living in NH is good place for snake-phobic people, because we really don't have that many of them, and the ones that we have aren't all that dangerous.
I've been so scared of them that I have declared on numerous occasions that if I ever saw one in my house, I'd move.
Last night I got home from work, exhausted and so ready for a relaxing weekend. The only thing that was in the way of me and complete relaxation was a messy room, so after dinner I went in to bring order. As I reached over to pick up my backpack, I saw a snake tail disappear into it. (Oh my gosh - I'm having a hard time even typing this, as I get all panicky all over again!!)
I went flying over to Evan & Jill's house, and they came and caught the horrific beast, but irreparable damage had been done to my psyche. I called Amy & she came up. Bless her heart - she had misunderstood my frantic screams on the phone and thought it was still in my room, so she came up with HUGE boots on, and a pincher-thing to catch the snake. She was also followed up by her Dad, who was armed with a huge flashlight, ready for battle. At the same time, Derrick came up to Evan & Jill's to pick something up, so he and Mr Partin went over and tried to find if there were any others, or where this thing had entered my apartment. They plugged a hole in my closet where they thought it probably came in.
After a time of trying to calm down, I went back to my apartment, but spent the time crouched on one of my living room chairs, eyes continuously scanning the floor for unwanted guests. There was no way I was going to sleep in my bed last night, so I actually slept on Evan & Jill's couch last night, jumping at everything that touched my skin.
A little while ago, Amy came up and was around while I cleaned my room from top to bottom. Pretty much everything that I picked up, I was expecting horrible reptiles to squirm out of. I saw something moved and screamed so loud it scared both of us out of our minds. Sadly, it was only my shadow.
And the Salvation Army will make out well from this episode, because having over 25 pairs of shoes on the floor of my closet is now freaking me out. Instead of looking at those shoes with love, ready to wear with any outfit, now I just see them as a mound of things where horrible beasts might be hiding!
So here I am, typing with my legs all drawn up on the chair, because I'm too afraid to put them on the floor in case something slithers over them.

13 comments:

Kristi said...

Ha ha, I can see the whole thing! I'm that way about spiders. Snakes actually don't bother me too much unless they're poisonous. My mom hates 'em though. Unfortunately for her, my nephew Zach is an active snake hunter who routinely captures several when he comes to visit us.

drewey fern said...

Oh Linds, I'm so sorry! I wish I could have been there to be heroic on your behalf. But Evan, Jill, Amy, Derrick, and Mr. Partin seemed to have been a worthy team:) Especially Amy with her wicked big boots! Hee hee hee. But seriously, I know it must have been incredibly traumatic, and I'm sorry. But way to have an exciting blog post! In 15 years maybe I'll have the nerve to say "But it was funny, so it's okay."

Jeanette said...

I totally feel your pain! I had three snakes in my house in Paris. Yikes! Do you have a cat? I was told that cats often help keep the snake population down...I never got to try it because my landlord wouldn't let me have one, but for what it's worth.....man, Lindsay, sorry you had to deal with this. As scared as I am of snakes, I'm willing to bet you're more scared than me!

Linds said...

Oh Jeanette - I think I remember that! If these things come in three, I think I might be institutionalized! I do have a cat, but he's kind of lazy.
Drewey, like our flat tire on the way home from Nova Scotia, I think it might take about 15 years to be funny! I'll keep you posted when it's safe to say that... Perhaps by the time we're old and in our house in Maine!
Kristi - thankfully Jed is as terrified of snakes as I am, so I don't think he'll be bringing many in, like Zach! Today he screamed bloody murder on the way home from church, because there was a worm by my foot!

lis said...

Oh, Lindsay! I think I was there when you made the "If I ever see a snake in my house comment" at Fairwood. Who knew it would be so soon? I have all sorts of sympathetic vibes after my traumatic experience with a monster cockroach in my room. I would definitely have loved to see Amy and her big, big boots right then...Hooray for brave friends!

Booker said...

And down with snakes!!!! Bruising their head and all that :)

Marie said...

i don't like snakes inside rooms either. I posted a blog one night about a snake that was in our computar room. Krista had tried to rid the room of it but it bit her, it was little.
I was kinda flipping out tooo... imagining that one would fall out of my quilt...
I've actually not even seen it:)

Man...ugh:) If certain types of bugs are in my room they make me sleep upstairs cause I hate em...

Hope you won't even see a snake in your apartment again!

Amy K said...

Lindsay - Very funny story. I could "hear you" telling it while I read it. LOL. :)

CARmelo said...

Yes, I concur, bravo on such a stupendous blog....filled with such vivid description that I saw it vividly...hahahaha...um...yes have you searched the web for snake-b-gone...I heard it does wonders for such problems and it comes in a variety of flavors.

Claire said...

Oh my word, Lindsay, you poor creature. After my experience with the darting mouse/vole/vermin in our living room I TOTALLY sympathize with sitting with legs drawn up scanning the floor for movement of any kind...SUCH a scary feeling. And ever since, I shake out my shoes before I put my feet into them. I see danger lurking EVERYWHERE. And now, I am moving to Georgia where snakes abound...

KW said...

OH, Lindsay! You poor thing. I can really sympathize,
and can see myself jumping every time I saw a
shadow or anything slightly resembling a snake:)

Rachelle said...

Ready to go back to San Antonio and face the scorpions? -rlr

the Joneses said...

I still don't understand being afraid of snakes that can't hurt you... but the body-hanging-from-the-shower-head phobia has my complete sympathy.

-- SJ