Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Giving Birth in a Cinema

Warning: For people who always play by the rules, this may not be your favorite post. In fact, you may want to skip over it! :)

This weekend my cousin Lisa & I went to a movie. We didn't know where the theatre was (as we were out of town) so we stopped at a gas station to ask directions. While we were there, we decided to get snacks instead of spending a small fortune on popcorn, drinks or candy.
Lisa got a Snapple & some M&M's. I got a juice & some Baked Lay's. We paid for our purchases & drove to the theatre.
Now seeing as there are always signs posted stating that outside food is not welcome, we decided to hide our contraband. Lisa stuffed her drink & M&M's in her purse, and my juice into her coat pocket. I didn't have a purse & this bag of Baked Lay's was posing a problem. So, I unzipped my coat & stuffed it in there, creating a nice little "pregnant belly."
While we were buying our tickets, I kept rubbing my belly & Lisa asked, "Oh - is she kicking??"
By the time we were in our seats, we were laughing uncontrollably. As we settled in, I whispered in a dramatic voice, "I'm about to give birth" and unzipped my coat. An easy labor, by any standard!

2 comments:

Alison said...

LOL, you sound like my husband. He thinks my purse is for smuggling things into the movies. Last time we went to a movie we drove through McDonalds on the way and got 2 cheese burgers, 2 fries and a large drink. Then he proceeded to dump out the contents of my purse and pack it all in there! I wondered if anyone at the theater noticed that we smelled like a walking McDonalds, but they never said a peep.

I have to say that I'm one of those "follow the rules" people, but it sure can be a fun adventure being with you "rebels". :-)

Rachelle said...

I have a hard time remembering "going to the movies." But deep back in my pre-parenthood memory, I can remember smuggling food in my college roommate's big purse. She was 5'9" so it looked natural on her. I believe in the law but I hate non-capitalist rules like not bringing food into cinemas. Not only are the prices meant to drive the middle class into the impoverished category but there are no good choices. What if I want Taco Bell or Subway? --rlr