Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Happy Anniversary, Mom & Dad

Today my parents celebrate their anniversary. They've been married for 33 years! I wrote their names & the year on my calendar at work & people are SHOCKED that they're still together. The comments from my co-workers are all positive & all in wonderment at the idea that a marraige can, and has, survived this long.
And the more I think about it, the more I realize how much I have to be grateful for. Mom & Dad made it very clear to us kids as we were growing up, that divorce was never an option. I remember countless times hearing one or both of them saying, "Divorce is not in our vocabulary." And they never stayed together just for us kids. They still truly love each other, and cherish the time that have together.
I took it for granted growing up, but I certainly no longer do. I realize with each new person I meet who has a sad tale about parents breaking up, that I am a very lucky girl. In a world where I look around & see marraiges falling apart, it's easy to be afraid of marraige. Then I focus on Mom & Dad and see that if a relationship is built on a foundation that can't be shaken, like their's is, then it can be successful & a true glory to God.
Congratulations, Dad & Mom - and thanks...

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Happy Anniversary Mr. & Mrs. Jones! You gave your kids something really great. My husband and I were just discussing the other day how freaked out we both were through parts of our childhood that our parents would get divorced. Neither set did, but it sure would have been nice for them to have reassured us instead of fight in front of us. -rlr